Historic Markers Across Alabama



Enhancing Health Care



Marker ID:  
Location: Booker T. Washington Boulevard, Tuskegee Institute, AL
County: Macon
Coordinates: N 32° 25.96    W 085° 42.28
  32.43266666    -85.70466666
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Enhancing Health Care
Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site


Let our societies spend less money in taking care of the sick, and much more money in promoting the health of the race . . . . Let us make health contagious in every community rather than disease.
—Booker T. Washington, Address before National Negro Business League

The National Center for Bioethics, in the Andrew Building across the road, pursues one of the school's longtime interests: enhancing health care. The Center studies ethical issues affecting the health of people of color—such as the U.S. Public Health Service's failure to treat 399 blacks infected with syphilis here in the 1930s.

For many years the building housed the John A. Andrew Memorial Hospital, which cared for the institute's students and the black residents of Macon County, Alabama. The hospital also served as a training center for African American doctors and dentists and a research and treatment facility for polio and other diseases.

[Photo captions]
{Bottom right}: A nurse traveled with the institute's agricultural agents to provide medical care to rural residents.

{Main photo}: The John A. Andrew Memorial Hospital was built in 1912. The columns were removed when the building was enlarged, so its appearance is quite different today.

National Park Service, Department of the Interior.



Notes:

More information:
NPS - Tuskegee University
Wikipedia - Booker T. Washington
Wikipedia - George Washington Carver



End of Enhancing Health Care