Historic Markers Across Alabama



White Hall 1910



Marker ID:  
Location: University Avenue, Tuskegee Institute, AL
County: Macon
Coordinates: N 32° 25.773    W 085° 42.304
  32.42955    -85.70506666
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

White Hall
1910


Named in honor of Alexander Moss White of Brooklyn, New York, with funds donated by his children. This structure opened fall 1909. The building was officially dedicated in January 1910 was a dormitory for women. A bronze tower with clock was added in 1913, with a manual winding system. In 1951 electric motors were installed, and the clock still chimes at intervals to the tune of "Cambridge Quarters".



Notes:

More information:
NPS - Tuskegee University
Wikipedia - Booker T. Washington
Wikipedia - George Washington Carver



End of White Hall 1910