Historic Markers Across Alabama



Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Clinton Ave. at Monroe St., Huntsville, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 46.752    W 086° 34.33
  34.7792    -86.57216666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University
Normal, Alabama


Legislature approved 9 December 1873 "a normal school for the education of colored teachers" in Huntsville. Ex-slave William Hooper Councill founder and first president. Classes began May 1875 in a rented building; moved 1881 to first school-owned property on West Clinton Street. Land-grant funds received 1891 for training of Negroes in agriculture and mechanic arts enables school to enlarge and re-establish at present location. Evolved from a normal school to a University in ninety-four years.

Former names
1873 - Colored Normal School at Huntsville
1885 - The Huntsville State Colored Normal and Industrial School
1896 - The State Agricultural and Mechanical College for Negroes
1919 - The State Agricultural and Mechanical Institute for Negroes
1948 - Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical College
1969 - University status achieved

Erected 1974 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University