Historic Markers Across Alabama



Central Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Lincoln Street Southeast and Randolph Street Southeast, Huntsville, Alabama
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 43.916    W 086° 34.961
  34.73193333    -86.58268333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This church which had its origins in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church was first mentioned at a meeting of the Presbytery on April 7, 1812. It became known as First Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Huntsville, Alabama. In 1828 the first building was constructed on Greene Street north of Holmes Street. In 1845 a second building, designed by George Steele, was erected at this site. The present building was begun in 1899. In 1906 this church became known as Central Presbyterian Church when united with the Presbyterian Church, USA.

Erected 1979 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Central Presbyterian Church