Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Chamber of Commerce of Huntsville / Madison County



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Church St., Huntsville, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 43.944    W 086° 35.383
  34.7324    -86.58971666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Chamber of Commerce of Huntsville
Madison County

Established January 12, 1894


Side 1:
Organized to enhance the economic growth and well-being of the community in order to provide employment opportunities and a superior quality of life for local residents.

First known as the Huntsville Chamber of Commerce, the organization included Madison County in 1954 to more effectively promote the general prosperity of Huntsville / Madison County.


Side 2:
Between 1894 and 1916, the Chamber met at various locations. The Chamber’s first official address of record was the Elk Building on Eustis Street, from 1916-1923. Later locations included the O.M. Hundley House, the Tennessee Valley Bank, the Russell Erskine Hotel, and the Hotel Twickenham. In 1965, the Chamber moved to 305 Church Street. It remained there until 1986 when the organization built this facility at 225 Church Street.

Erected 2006 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of The Chamber of Commerce of Huntsville / Madison County