Historic Markers Across Alabama



City of Madison



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Church St. at Front St., Madison, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 41.643    W 086° 44.923
  34.69405    -86.74871666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Establish in 1856 as a shipping station on the Memphis and Charleston R.R., the town was platted on land owned by James Clemens and incorporated by vote of its citizens in 1869.
First officials included William R. Johnston, mayor, and five aldermen, William B. Dunn, first depot agent; Thomas J. Clay, first postmaster; George W. Martin, first merchant; James H. Bibb, planter and Dr. George R. Sullivan.

The community remained small until the growth of industries associated with Redstone Arsenal and the Jetport in the 1950's and 1960's transformed Madison into thriving city.

Erected 1989 by Alabama Historical Association.








End of City of Madison