Historic Markers Across Alabama



Councill Training School



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: is on Meridian Street ¼ mile north of Chase Road NE, Normal, Alabama
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 46.96    W 086° 34.344
  34.78266666    -86.5724
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Council Training School
(1919 - 1970)


Side 1:
In 1919, the first building was erected nearby with funds provided locally and supplemented with a Julius Rosenwald Foundation grant. Named for William H. Councill, Alabama A&M University founder, the three-room structure was built for black students in grades 1-6. Traditionally county black students were taught in churches and lodge halls. Many would continue their education at the University’s Laboratory School. The second school was erected on this site in 1948. This structure accommodated 600 students, grades 1-12. The first class graduated in 1949. The principals were: Dr. Charles Orr (1948-53), Mr. J.H. Richards (1953-59), and Mr. A.G. Adams (1959-70).


Side 2:
In 1952, the school was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Enrollment increased from 600 to 950; faculty from 22 to 32. Additional classrooms were constructed in 1958 and 1962. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 impacted the future of the school. As black students attended neighborhood schools due to integration, enrollment declined. In 1968, the school became a senior high school, limited to grades 10-12. The school closed in 1970 as full integration took effect. The land and property reverted to Alabama A&M University in 1971 to accommodate University needs.

Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association







End of Councill Training School