Historic Markers Across Alabama



Dallas Mills & Village 1892-1949 / Rison School 1921-1964



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Oakwood Ave., at Lee High Dr., Huntsville, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Dallas Mills & Village 1892-1949


Chartered in 1890 by T.B. Dallas, Dallas Mills began operation in 1892 as Alabama's largest cotton mill, manufacturing sheeting. The mill village extended from Oakwood Ave. South to Dallas St. Employees were provided homes, medical care, churches, library, lodge building, YMCA, concerts, a kindergarten, and schools. The mill closed in 1949 and the village was incorporated into Huntsville in 1955.


Rison School 1921-1964


The school, named for mill general manager Archie L. Rison, was the hub of village social life. Cecil Fain, Rison High School principal for 32 years, taught "Discipline Comes From Within." The school, which served educational and social needs of Dallas village for four generations, was located on this site.







End of Dallas Mills & Village 1892-1949 / Rison School 1921-1964