Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Gates Ave. at Lincoln St., Huntsville, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 43.825    W 086° 34.91
  34.73041666    -86.58183333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Organized June 15, 1818 by the Rev. Gideon Blackburn, D.D.

One of the state’s oldest Presbyterian churches.

This site was selected for the first church building, dedicated on Oct. 13, 1822. The second and present, sanctuary was dedicated on May 18, 1860.

Names of all ministers who have served this church are recorded on plaques in the sanctuary.

This marker erected on 150th anniversary of organization.

Erected 1968 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of First Presbyterian Church