Historic Markers Across Alabama



First United Methodist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Greene St. at Randolph Ave., Huntsville, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

First United Methodist Church
Huntsville, Alabama
Methodism brought into area 1807


Methodist Society organized at Hunt's Spring prior to formation of Madison County, served 1808-1820 by Flint Circuit traveling ministers. First Church built 1821 NW corner Clinton and Gallatin Streets. Present site acquired 1832, church completed 1834, occupied and accidentally burned by Federals 1864. Cornerstone laid 1867 for present sanctuary, dedicated 1874.








End of First United Methodist Church