Historic Markers Across Alabama



Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Ford's Chapel Rd., Harvest, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 50.463    W 086° 43.853
  34.84105    -86.73088333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church
(Organized 1808)


The Western Conference, Oct. 1-7, 1808 in Williamson County, Tenn., sent James Gwinn to the "great bend" of the Tenn. River. Gwinn organized at the home of Richard and Betsy Ford, the first Methodist Society of the six in the Flint Circuit. This circuit, among others, was served for many years by circuit riders. First building was started in 1815. Building and 2½ acres of land deeded to church trustees in 1824 by the Fords. Present sanctuary, begun in 1870 on original foundation, has undergone several renovations and minor alterations.







End of Ford's Chapel United Methodist Church