Historic Markers Across Alabama



Hayden Cemetery



Marker ID: AHA 
Location:
County: Madison
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On August 19, 1887, Tranquilla J. Haden gave to the Poplar Ridge community 1.5 acres at this site for a cemetery later to be called Hayden. The site had been used as a cemetery since as early as 1858. The cemetery expanded to 5.1 acres through gifts and purchases from Horatio & Sallie Smith, Howard & Ada Smith, Carl & Betty Worley, and Bobby Connally. During the construction of Interstate 65 in 1968, remains from the Collier Cemetery in Limestone County were reinterred at Hayden. On June 4, 1985, a perpetual care organization was created with officers and trustees to ensure the cemetery continued to serve southeast Madison County.







End of Hayden Cemetery