Historic Markers Across Alabama



Lincoln School and Village



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: : 1110 Meridian Street, Huntsville, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 44.723    W 086° 35.055
  10.41205    -86.58425
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1918 William Lincoln Barrell of Lowell, Ma. purchased Abingdon Mill and transformed it into a large textile center of all concrete construction named Lincoln Mill Village. Phillip Peeler served as its superintendent from 1934-1953.
Built in 1929 this school became the central core of community life until 1956 when Lincoln Village was annexed to the city of Huntsville. Edward W. Anderson served as its principal for 27 years. Many graduates became local and state leaders.
The mill stopped operation in 1957 and burned in 1980.







End of Lincoln School and Village