Historic Markers Across Alabama



New Market Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of New Market Road and Powers Street, New Market, Alabama
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 54.61    W 086° 25.766
  34.91016666    -86.42943333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Mary Miller deeded land in 1849 to serve both Methodist and Cumberland Presbyterian congregations. The original building burned and the Methodists in 1882 sold their interest in a second building. This second church destroyed by a tornado in 1884. Present building erected in 1888. In 1906 the Cumberland Presbyterians left to form a new church, and the remaining members affiliated with the First Presbyterian Church, USA; N.J. Powers, Minister.

National Register of Historic Places, 1988

Erected 1996 by Alabama Historical Association.








End of New Market Presbyterian Church