Historic Markers Across Alabama



Oakwood College



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Sparkman Dr. at Adventist Dr., Huntsville, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 45.129    W 086° 38.871
  34.75215    -86.64785
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Oakwood College
Founded 1896

Oakwood College, which began as an industrial school, was founded by the Seventh-day Adventist Church in 1896 to educate African Americans in the South. The school was erected on 380 acres purchased during the previous year for $6,700. Additional property secured in 1918 nearly tripled its land holdings. The school underwent several name changes over its history:

1896: Oakwood Industrial School
1904: Oakwood Manual Training School
1917: Oakwood Junior College
1943: Oakwood College

In 1958, Oakwood was granted full accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Oakwood prepares students from across America and many nations to serve the world in a variety of positions and careers, reflecting its motto, "Today's College for Tomorrow's Leaders."

On this site, too, stood the Peter Blow Plantation which counted Dred Scott among its slaves in 1819. In 1857, Scott captured national attention by virtue of his appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court for his freedom in Missouri after sojourning in the free state of Illinois.







End of Oakwood College