Historic Markers Across Alabama



Original Site of Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Clinton Avenue SE and Monroe Street SE, Huntsville, Alabama
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 43.736    W 086° 35.427
  34.72893333    -86.59045
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
Legislature approved 9 December 1873 "a normal school for the education of colored teachers" in Huntsville. Ex-slave William Cooper Councill founder and first president. Classes began May 1875 with sixty-one pupils and two teachers; held in rented buildings until moved 1881 to this site-the first school-owned property. Land-grant funds received 1891 for training of Negroes in agriculture and mechanic arts enabled school to enlarge and re-locate on present campus north of the city.


Side 2:
Former names
1873 - Colored Normal School at Huntsville
1885 - The Huntsville State Colored Normal and Industrial School
1896 - The State Agricultural and Mechanical College for Negroes
1919 - The State Agricultural and Mechanical Institute for Negroes
1948 - Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical College
1969 - University status achieved

Erected 1974 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Original Site of Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University