Historic Markers Across Alabama



Original Site of Enon Baptist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Meridianville, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Approximately one-half mile north of here is the original site of the oldest Baptist Church (Missionary) in Alabama. This congregation was organized on June 3, 1809 as the West Fork of Flint River Church and renamed Enon Church shortly thereafter. John Canterbury was called as the first pastor on August 5, 1809. This group became a charter member of Flint River Baptist Association in 1814. Services were held in members' homes until a log meetinghouse was completed in 1813. This building served until 1825 when a brick church was constructed three miles northeast of Meridianville. In 1861 under the leadership of Pastor Eugene Strode, the congregation moved to Huntsville. The Enon Baptist Church was renamed First Baptist Church of Huntsville in 1895.







End of Original Site of Enon Baptist Church