Historic Markers Across Alabama



Passenger Depot



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Church St., Huntsville, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 44.064    W 086° 35.454
  34.7344    -86.5909
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Passenger Depot
Huntsville, Alabama
Built 1860


Memphis and Charleston Railroad Company Eastern Division Headquarters in this passenger depot, adjoining yards and shops captured by Union Army April 11, 1862. Vital east-west Confederate rail link severed; C.S.A. soldiers imprisoned here. Depot later used by Federals as base for gathering supplies for Western Theater military operations. After Civil War returned to M. & C. R.R. Co.; acquired by Southern Railway System 1898; since 1971 preserved by City of Huntsville.

National Register of Historic Places 1971

Erected 1978 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Passenger Depot