Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Public Inn



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on Williams Avenue SE east of Franklin Street SE, Huntsville, Alabama
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 43.717    W 086° 34.95
  34.72861666    -86.5825
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Constructed circa 1818 by John Adams at the NE corner of Madison St. and Williams Ave. Operated as an inn and boarding house by William E. Phillips from 1819-21; believed to have housed some delegates to the nearby Alabama Constitutional Convention in 1819. Original structure probably enlarged by an 1832 addition. The Inn was rolled on logs to this site in1926, and an addition was built on the rear in 1927. One of the few surviving Federal-period frame structures in Huntsville. National Register of Historic Places ~1980

Erected 2002 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of The Public Inn