Historic Markers Across Alabama



Randolph Street Church of Christ



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on Randolph Avenue Southeast, Huntsville, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 43.87    W 086° 35.061
  34.73116666    -86.58435
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMPWZX
 



Text:

Organized as a Christian Church, this is the original congregation of what is now the church of Christ in Huntsville. A gospel meeting was held in the Courthouse in 1883, conducted by James A. Harding, evangelist and founder of Harding College and David Lipscomb College. This meeting marked the beginning of the church in this community and resulted in the donation of $1,800 for the purchase of the lot. In late 1886, 100,000 bricks were delivered to this site and construction began. The first gospel meeting was held in November 1889, at which time many new members were added to the church. In 1900, members began to refer to themselves as the church of Christ.

Erected 2007 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Randolph Street Church of Christ