Historic Markers Across Alabama



Saint Mary's Church of the Visitation



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on Jefferson Street N south of Meridan Street NW, Huntsville, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 43.969    W 086° 35.258
  34.73281666    -86.58763333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Missionaries served Catholics in Huntsville until 1861, when Father Jeremiah F. Trecy was sent by Bishop John Quinlan to organize this parish. Cornerstone for the building was laid in October 1861. Due to the Civil War the church was not completed until 1872. It was dedicated October 1877.

This parish helped to form three other parishes, parochial schools, and charitable organizations in the community. National Register of Historic Places 1981.

Erected 1983 by Alabama Historical Association.








End of Saint Mary's Church of the Visitation