Historic Markers Across Alabama



Site of Ditto's Landing and Town of Whitesburg



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Boat Dock Rd. at W. Eugene Morgan Rd.
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 34.558    W 086° 33.777
  34.57596666    -86.56295
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1807 pioneer James Ditto began operating a ferry with landings on both sides of the Tennessee River. Early settlers landed here in order to reach their lands in Madison County.

James White, Salt King of Abingdon, Va., established a thriving port at this location, incorporated as Whitesburg on Dec. 23, 1824.

Throughout the 19th century this port remained an important cotton shipping center. With the advent of railroads water transportation declined and the town soon disappeared. Its post office closed in 1905.

Erected 1985 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Site of Ditto's Landing and Town of Whitesburg