Historic Markers Across Alabama



Site of Huntsville Slave Cemetery



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of Madison Street and St. Clair Avenue, Huntsville, Alabama
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 43.339    W 086° 34.831
  34.72231666    -86.58051666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Site of the Huntsville Slave Cemetery


On September 3, 1818, the Huntsville City Commissioners purchased two acres of land from LeRoy Pope Walker for a "burying ground" for slaves. This cemetery was located within the NE quarter of Section 1, Township 4, Range 1 West of the Base Meridian. It was affectionately known as "Georgia" within the black community. The cemetery continued to be used from 1818 until 1870 when Glenwood Cemetery was designated as the city's burial ground for African Americans. No known records have survived.

Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association







End of Site of Huntsville Slave Cemetery