Historic Markers Across Alabama



Temple B'nai Sholom



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Clinton Ave. at Lincoln St., Huntsville, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 43.963    W 086° 34.999
  34.73271666    -86.58331666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Huntsville's first Jewish citizens arrived during the 1840's. Congregation B'nai Sholom ("Sons of Peace") was founded July 30, 1876 by 32 families.

They affiliated in 1877 with the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, the Reform Movement. Construction of the Temple began in 1898, and it was dedicated on November 26, 1899. Chairman of the Building Committee was Isaac Schiffman. Architecture is primarily of the Romanesque Revival style, with influences of the Renaissance Revival in the west front gable. The Temple was designed by architect R.H. Hunt of Chattanooga. Extensive restoration was completed in 1994. Temple B'nai Sholom is the oldest synagogue in Alabama in continuous use.


Erected 1997 by Alabama Historical Association







End of Temple B'nai Sholom