Historic Markers Across Alabama



The LeRoy Pope Mansion, 1814



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Echols Ave. at Adams St., Huntsville, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 43.792    W 086° 34.833
  34.72986666    -86.58055
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

During the original Madison County Land Sales of 1809, LeRoy Pope of Petersburg, GA, secured among other purchases a majority of Section 36, Township 3, Range 1 West, the site of the future town of Twickenham, as Huntsville was originally known. Pope created Poplar Grove Plantation on this site and erected his home in 1814 in time to entertain Gen. Andrew Jackson on his return from the Battle of Horseshoe Bend. The residence was among the earliest brick structures in Alabama. Inherited by his son, William H. Pope, the mansion was sold in 1848 to Dr. Charles Hays Patton, who commissioned George Steele to add the handsome Classical Revival portico. Nearby during the Civil War, Federal forces built an earthen breastwork to defend the eastern approaches to the city.


Erected 1997 by Alabama Historical Association







End of The LeRoy Pope Mansion, 1814