Historic Markers Across Alabama



Town of Gurley



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Hwy 72 at Third St., Gurley, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 41.832    W 086° 22.649
  34.6972    -86.37748333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Located on land owned by John Gurley, pioneer settler, and named for him. His son, Capt. Frank B. Gurley, became a Confederate hero as a member of the 4th Ala. Cavalry. The settlement that developed around the water tank on Memphis and Charleston R.R. was known as Gurley's Tank. Post office established in 1866 as Gurleysville and town incorporated as Gurley in 1891. Madison County High School located here in 1907. Last hometown of Senator and Mrs. C.C. Clay, Jr.

Erected 1986 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Town of Gurley