Historic Markers Across Alabama



Town of New Market



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on Winchester Road near New Market Road, New Market, Alabama
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 54.577    W 086° 25.66
  34.90961666    -86.42766666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Settled by Pioneers early as 1806. Voting Precinct established 1827. Town incorporated 1837.

George Smith, major landowner of town site, built first log house and established mercantile business, 1814. John Miller excavated millrace, erected gristmill and sawmill, 1819. William Hayter, first Postmaster, 1827-1839.

Town became a thriving commercial center for a prosperous agricultural community, once known as "The Watercress Capital of the World;" greatly respected for development of religious and educational endeavors, and furnishing political leadership in local and state government.

Erected 1989 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Town of New Market