Historic Markers Across Alabama



Triana, Alabama



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Record St. at 6th St., Triana, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Originally called “The Prairie” by the Chickasaw Indians who settled here, Triana was incorporated November 13, 1819 as the second town in Madison County. The community purportedly was named after Rodrigo de Triana, the crewman who first sighted land while sailing with Christopher Columbus on his first voyage to the Americas. Located on the Tennessee River at the terminus of Indian Creek Canal, Triana was a thriving port through which cotton and other Madison County produce moved to market prior to the building of railroads in North Alabama. Triana was rejuvenated when rechartered July 13, 1964.







End of Triana, Alabama