Historic Markers Across Alabama



Trough Springs



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on Monte Sano Blvd Southeast north of Castlegate Blvd Southeast, Huntsville, Alabama
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 43.283    W 086° 32.253
  34.72138333    -86.53755
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Well known spring in the 1800's where travelers watered horses and livestock before crossing Monte Sano on Big Cove Pike. In late 1863, Captain Lemuel Mead's Partisan Rangers attacked railroads, wagon trains, and forage parties behind enemy lines in North Alabama and Tennessee. On March 11, 1865, they reorganized as a regiment with the 25th Alabama Cavalry Battalion under Milus E. "Bushwhacker" Johnston. On May 11, 1865, Lt. Colonel Johnston surrendered the combined command to Union Army Colonel William Given at Trough Springs. Heavy rains forced a move into Huntsville to complete the parole process. The springs are located one mile southeast on the Trough Springs Trail.

Erected 2006 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Trough Springs