Historic Markers Across Alabama



Vienna (New Hope)



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Main Drive (Old Highway 431) south of Washington Ave, New Hope, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 32.192    W 086° 23.665
  34.53653333    -86.39441666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Originally known as Cloud’s Town, this community was incorporated in 1832 as Vienna. It prospered as a market town before the Civil War. On May 29, 1864, the 12th Indiana Cavalry, commanded by Lt. Col. Alfred Reed, seized the town. They built a stockade and named it for General Peter J. Osterhaus. The hit-and-run tactics of Confederate Col. Lemuel Mead and Lt. Col. Milus E. (Bushwhacker) Johnston caused Union officers to retaliate by burning Vienna to the ground on December 15, 1864. Only the Masonic Lodge and the Post Office/Tavern remained. By 1883, Vienna was back to its pre-war size and was reincorporated as New Hope.







End of Vienna (New Hope)