Historic Markers Across Alabama



Walnut Grove Cumberland Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: intersection of New Hope Cedar Point Road and Cambron Rd, New Hope, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 33.26    W 086° 22.574
  34.55433333    -86.37623333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Walnut Grove
Cumberland Presbyterian Church


Side 1:
On July 19, 1847, Christopher and Mary Harless Sears deeded two acres (with meeting house, brush-arbor, and camp-stand) to the Elders of the Walnut Grove Society of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church for one penny. The Union Army burned the original church in 1862. A walnut tree with scars from the fire still bears walnuts. A ring used to tether horses during services has grown into the tree and is still visible. The original bell, hand-dug well, and pre-Civil War cemetery also remain.

Side 2:
The present church was erected after the Civil War. The pews were replaced circa 1926, and Sunday School rooms were added in 1956. In 1992 the tongue-and-grove walls were restored. Membership records include the Smith, Buford, Scroggins, Haden, Woody, Douglas, Overton, and Nichols families.








End of Walnut Grove Cumberland Presbyterian Church