Historic Markers Across Alabama



William Hooper Councill High School Site



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: St. Clair Ave., Huntsville, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 43.307    W 086° 35.321
  34.72178333    -86.58868333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1PM0
 



Text:

William Hooper Councill
High School Site, 1892-1966


The first public school for African-Americans in the city of Huntsville was named for the founder of the Alabama A&M University. The site, selected by a committee headed by the Rev. W.E. Gaston, was donated by the Davis-Lowe family.

Founded in 1867 in the basement of Lakeside Methodist Episcopal Church on Jefferson Street, the school was moved to a frame building on this site in 1892. The first diplomas were granted in 1912. A brick structure replaced the original building in 1927.

The school was closed due to integration, graduating its last class in 1966.








End of William Hooper Councill High School Site