Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Roundhouse



Marker ID:  
Location: on Front Street, Madison, Alabama
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 41.638    W 086° 44.933
  34.69396666    -86.74888333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFWRW
 



Text:

The Roundhouse


This building is a replica of Madison's first city hall and is constructed on the original site of the Madison Depot, it was built in the late 1800's while Capt. John Buchanan Floyd, a Confederate veteran was mayor.

"The Roundhouse" served as the official city hall for town meetings, elections, and town activities such as weddings, hair cutting ( when the barber made his weekly visit), and frequent card games. The original "Roundhouse" was dismantled in approximately 1938. The foundation is still visible in downtown Madison on the south side of the railroad tracks. Plans for this replica began in 1968 while E.O. Baston was mayor to commemorate Madison's Centennial in 1969. The plans were taken from sketches found in City Hall by Edgar Sandlin, City Inspector, an original photograph from Mrs. John (Lucille) Slaughter Cain, and interviews with local citizens. This Replica was constructed on September 21, 1986 at the annual street festival by developer John Hathaway and The Wild Boys Land & Cattle Company and community volunteers. Burwell L. "Sonny" Wilbanks was mayor.

A professional set of buildings plans were donated for the reconstruction of the "Roundhouse" by Mr. Tom Gilbert, Gilbert Engineering Company, The City Engineer from 1975 to 1982.







End of The Roundhouse