Historic Markers Across Alabama



White Hall 1878



Marker ID:  
Location: in the median of Whitehall Road west of Hughes Road, Madison, Alabama
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 44.337    W 086° 44.52
  34.73895    -86.742
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This site was the farm of Gilbert G. White Jr., his wife Nancy L. White, and family from 1947 to 2005. Mr. White lived here until his death in 1978.

Gilbert G. White Jr. was a descendant of John White, Speaker of the US House of Representatives circa 1838. Gilbert G. White Jr. was the great grandson of Colonel James White, entrepreneur and frontier industrialist from Abington, VA. On December 24, 1824 Col. James White founded the town of Whitesburg, AL south of Huntsville on the Tennessee River. Whitesburg was burned by Union troops during the Civil War and never rebuilt.

This stone marker, "White Hall" was removed in 1963 from the White Family Law Office building located on the west side of the courthouse square, Huntsville, AL, Madison County.







End of White Hall 1878