Historic Markers Across Alabama



Camp Beaty Brahan Spring Park



Marker ID:  
Location: 3770 Ivy Ave SW, Huntsville, AL
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 34° 42.317    W 086° 36.048
  34.70528333    -86.6008
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Camp Beaty
Brahan Spring Park


(side 1)

Brahan Spring Park, formerly Beaty's Spring, was the site of Camp Beaty, the encampment of Andrew Jackson's army of volunteers and militia after their celebrated non-stop march of "32 miles in 5 hours" from Fayetteville, Tennessee on October 11, 1813. The urgency of the forced march was in response to a threatened attack on the city of Huntsville by a war party of Creek Nation. Jackson had previously dispatched Colonel John Coffee's Second Regiment of Tennessee Volunteer Mounted Riflemen, including David Crockett, to scout the area and to restore confidence to the frontier.


(side 2)
The threatened attack never took place and the army, nearly 4,000 strong, moved on to begin the campaign that became the Creek War of 1813-1814, part of the War of 1812. Camp Beaty served as a staging and supply area throughout the War with rent being paid to Captain Robert Beaty. Beaty had purchased this land from the Federal Government on August 28, 1809, and later sold it to John Brahan in 1819. The property changed hands numerous times until 1899 when Merrimack Manufacturing Company purchased the site. Merrimack's successor, Huntsville Manufacturing Company, deeded the land to the City of Huntsville in 1951, to be used as a city park.

Erected 2012 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Camp Beaty Brahan Spring Park