Historic Markers Across Alabama



Bluff Hall



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on North Commissioners Avenue north of West Lyon Street, Demopolis, Alabama
County: Marengo
Coordinates: N 32° 31.211    W 087° 50.411
  32.52018333    -87.84018333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Situated on historic White Bluff overlooking the Tombigbee River, Bluff Hall was built in 1832 by slaves of Allen Glover for his daughter, Sarah Serena, and her husband, Francis Strother Lyon.

Lawyer and planter, F. S. Lyon, served in both the Confederate and the United States congresses. Frequent war-time visitors in his house were General Leonidas Polk and General Zachary Deas.

Bluff Hall is now owned by the Marengo County Historical Society

Erected 1969 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Bluff Hall