Historic Markers Across Alabama



St. Michael's Cemetery



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: In Marengo County 54, just east of Co. Hwy 59, Faunsdale, AL
County: Marengo
Coordinates: N 32° 26.21    W 087° 36.516
  32.43683333    -87.6086
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7M56
 



Text:

Interred in the north section of this cemetery were many slaves who had labored on Faunsdale Plantation since its founding in 1843. The earliest identified burial in the black section of the cemetery is that of Barbary (Harrison), a house servant on the Plantation who died at the age of 70 in March 1860. Wooden markers, long since vanished, once designated earlier graves. This ground interred not only slaves and freedmen, but also many of their descendants until the last burial in 1960.
The slaves buried here were communicants of the Episcopal faith and first attended St. Michael’s Church, then Faunsdale Chapel after it was erected for them by Louisa M. Collins Harrison and consecrated in June 1861.







End of St. Michael's Cemetery