Historic Markers Across Alabama



St. Michael's Episcopal Churchyard



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: In Marengo County 54, just east of Co. Hwy 59, Faunsdale, AL
County: Marengo
Coordinates: N 32° 26.183    W 087° 36.541
  32.43638333    -87.60901666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7M3W
 



Text:

1844 - Dr. Thomas & Louisa Harrison gave acre of their Faunsdale Plantation for a log church designated Union Parish.
1852 - name changed to St. Michael’s Parish.
1855 - slave artisans Peter Lee and Joe Glasgow built Gothic Revival-style church.
1888 - church disassembled and moved to town of Faunsdale.
1932 - destroyed by tornado; much of the interior wood salvaged for new brick church building.
Northern part of churchyard has graves of slave communicants.
Oldest marked grave - Dr. Harrison - 1858.







End of St. Michael's Episcopal Churchyard