Historic Markers Across Alabama



Shiloh Baptist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: At the church on Marengo County 82, Dixons Mills, AL
County: Marengo
Coordinates: N 32° 06.129    W 087° 45.929
  32.10215    -87.76548333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKGYE
 



Text:

Shiloh Baptist Church
Organized July 1827


The original building was located about three miles east of the present site near the village of Shiloh. It was used as a union church until it became a Baptist Church in 1842. A new building was erected at the present site and the first bodies were laid to rest in the adjacent cemetery. Prior to the Civil War, blacks also attended worship services. In 1878, they withdrew their membership to erect their own building. Seven churches have been organized from Shiloh Church, of which five remain active.








End of Shiloh Baptist Church