Historic Markers Across Alabama



Temple B'nai Jeshurun



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of North Main Avenue and West Monroe Street, Demopolis, Alabama
County: Marengo
Coordinates: N 32° 31.216    W 087° 50.319
  32.52026666    -87.83865
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7PZH
 



Text:

Side 1:
Congregation B'nai Jeshurun dedicated its first temple on this site on Thanksgiving Day, November 30, 1893 with Rabbi Edward Levy of Selma officiating. The perpetual lamp was lighted by Isaac Marx, the first Jew to settle in Demopolis. The larger wooden synagogue with a Moorish-influenced dome was demolished in 1958 after construction of this new temple within its shell. The congregation was founded in 1858 by immigrants from central Europe who began arriving in the 1840s and established businesses which operated in the community until 2002, when Rosenbush Furniture Company closed its doors after 107 years of operation.

Side 2:
The congregation became associated with the Reform movement after the establishment of the Union of Hebrew Congregations. B'nai Jeshurun means "Children of Righteousness", the poetic name for the Jewish people, often used in the Bible to designate the ideal character of Israel. The congregation's cemetery located on East Jefferson Street was established in 1878. The congregations were led by dedicated rabbis including Lewis Mayer, the brothers Jacob and George Bley, and Jerome Levy.


Erected 2007 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Temple B'nai Jeshurun