Historic Markers Across Alabama



Trinity Episcopal Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of North Main Avenue and West Lyon Street, Demopolis, Alabama
County: Marengo
Coordinates: N 32° 31.169    W 087° 50.341
  32.51948333    -87.83901666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7PTP
 



Text:

Established by the Rev. Caleb S. Ives
January 31, 1834

The first church building, a frame structure built in 1857, was burned by Federal troops during their occupation of Demopolis.

The present church building was erected in 1870 and forms the nave. The transepts were added in 1896 and the bell tower in 1910.

While camped in Demopolis, the Rt. Reverend Leonidas Polk, Bishop of Louisiana and Lieut General of the Confederate Army, often worshipped at Trinity.

Erected 1976 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Trinity Episcopal Church