Historic Markers Across Alabama



History of the Town of Thomaston



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: On 2nd Ave west of Cherry Rd at the town pond, Thomaston, AL
County: Marengo
Coordinates: N 32° 15.992    W 087° 37.625
  32.26653333    -87.62708333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMKGY4
 



Text:

Side 1:
About 1830, settlers from the Carolinas and Virginia came to this area in search of fertile land. They staked their claims to adjoining plantations adjacent to what became Thomaston.

In 1890, Dr. Charles Brooks Thomas bought the plantation where Thomaston is located. He was a man of vision and it was his greatest ambition to convert his land into a thriving town.

In 1892, Dr. Thomas was appointed postmaster and the community was named Thomaston in his honor.

The Town of Thomaston was incorporated in February, 1901 with a population of 51 people and Dr. Thomas as the first Mayor. The railroad came to town the same year. Dr. Thomas then had the land surveyed and laid out the town.

Planters Bank and Trust Company was established in 1914.
Telephone service began in 1914
Electricity came in 1929


Side 2:
For many years, the population of Thomaston was around 400. In 1949, the town limits were extended and the population jumped to over 1000. With the population growth, the town installed streetlights and the streets were paved and marked. Water and gas systems were installed and a volunteer fire department was organized.

Beginning in the 1950's, a yearly barbeque was held serving "Good Ole Thomaston Barbeque". This event is still held each year drawing crowds from throughout the area.

The Alabama Rural Heritage Foundation was established in 1986. It sponsors the Pepper Jelly Festival each spring.

Thomaston never became the bustling city that Dr. Thomaston had envisioned. The 2000 census showed a population of 383. The community lives on as a small town noted for its Southern hospitality and its good cooks.







End of History of the Town of Thomaston