Historic Markers Across Alabama



Seventh District Agricultural School - 1912



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: on Jackson St at E McCord Ave, Albertville, AL
County: Marshall
Coordinates: N 34° 15.757    W 086° 12.314
  34.26261666    -86.20523333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMMV4H
 



Text:

The Alabama Legislature passed an act in February of 1893 calling for the construction of agricultural schools to be built in each of Alabama=s congressional districts. The city of Albertville was chosen as the site for the seventh congressional district school and a large wooden building was constructed in 1894. On January 12, 1912, that building was destroyed by fire. Later that year, on the same site, a new three-story brick Classical Revival style building with a T-shaped floor plan was constructed. In 1936 the school became the center of the new Albertville High School complex controlled by the Albertville Board of Education. The old school was designated the Hobdy building in honor of the early school president, J.B. Hobdy. This school has continued to provide secondary education for more than 90 years. The building was listed to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1995.

Erected by the Student Government Association of 2002-2003







End of Seventh District Agricultural School - 1912