Historic Markers Across Alabama



Kate Duncan Smith-Daughters of the American Revolution School



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: is on Cathedral Caverns Highway north of 1st Street West, Grant, Alabama
County: Marshall
Coordinates: N 34° 32.072    W 086° 15.139
  34.53453333    -86.25231666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
In 1924, the Alabama Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) established Kate Duncan Smith School to provide a patriotic education dedicated to academic achievement and service to “God, Home, and Country” for the people of Gunter Mountain. The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR) designated the school as a nationally recognized DAR school in 1928. Now a collaborative effort between the DAR, the Marshall County Board of Education, and the local citizens, it has remained a public school open to all of the children of the Gunter Mountain region.


Side 2:
The present campus, consisting of approximately 240 acres, includes the remaining largely intact “old campus” that encompassed 100 acres as well as twelve buildings constructed between 1924 and 1957 and a 1937 water tower now used as a bell tower. Influenced by the Arts and Crafts Movement, school officials constructed the buildings, sidewalks, bleachers, and entrance columns from native materials including fieldstone, cut sandstone, and pine logs. Kate Duncan Smith-Daughters of the American Revolution School is one of only two schools in the United States supported by the NSDAR. 15 of the original 100 acres were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2002

Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.








End of Kate Duncan Smith-Daughters of the American Revolution School