Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Baptist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of North Main Street and Guntersville Road (Alabama Route 69), Arab, Alabama
County: Marshall
Coordinates: N 34° 19.384    W 086° 29.771
  34.32306666    -86.49618333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMEB5V
 



Text:

Founded on September 5, 1912, by 40 charter members, First Baptist Church is the second oldest church located within Arab’s original town limits of one square mile. The church was first located just off South Main Street on Fry Gap Road. The Rev. M.K. Taylor, who had previously served for many years at nearby Shoal Creek Baptist Church, was the first pastor. Citizens instrumental in the establishment of First Baptist Church included W.P. “Squire” Marsh and R.J. Riddle, both prominent early settlers and mayors of Arab. When the former building was damaged by a tornado in 1923, the present site was purchased from J.M. Cotton for $300, and a new frame church was erected. The congregation replaced it with a substantial brick church in 1948 that served until 1989, when the present sanctuary was finished.

Erected 2008 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of First Baptist Church