Historic Markers Across Alabama



Gilliam Springs Baptist Church



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of North Brindlee Mountain Parkway (State Highway 53) and Old Huntsville Highway NW, Arab, Alabama
County: Marshall
Coordinates: N 34° 20.467    W 086° 30.245
  34.34111666    -86.50408333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMEAYJ
 



Text:

Gilliam Springs Baptist Church was founded by nine charter members on November 25, 1882, under the leadership of the Rev. P.J. Corley in the Gilliam Springs School. The log school was located on the east side of North Main Street in the vicinity of Brookwood Drive and Tenth Avenue. In 1884 the congregation erected a log church building at this location. A brick church was constructed in 1934, and several additions were added beginning in the early 1960s. Gilliam Springs Baptist Church is older than the First United Methodist and First Baptist churches but was built outside the limits of the original Town of Arab. It was annexed in the 1970s, thus becoming the oldest church in Arab.

Erected 2008 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Gilliam Springs Baptist Church