Historic Markers Across Alabama



Stephen Tuttle Thompson (1832-1912) - Founder of the Town of Arab



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: at the intersection of South Main Street and Cullman Road (Alabama Route 69), Arab, Alabama
County: Marshall
Coordinates: N 34° 19    W 086° 29.755
  34.31666666    -86.49591666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMEAY4
 



Text:

Stephen Tuttle Thompson (1832-1912)
Founder of the Town of Arab


Indirectly responsible for the naming of the town, Stephen Tuttle Thompson was born Feb. 22, 1832, in Rhea County, Tennessee. He moved to west Marshall County with his parents about 1840 and relocated in 1858 to what became Thompson’s Village and later the Town of Arab. Named Arab's first postmaster in 1882, he was required to submit three proposed names for the new post office to the U.S. Postal Department. Desiring that the post office be named after his son, Ranson Arad Riley Thompson, he submitted "Ink," "Blue Bird," and "Arad.” The postal department chose “Arad,” but, as the result of a clerical error in Washington, D.C., it was misspelled "Arab." Stephen Tuttle Thompson also served as deputy tax assessor and as a county commissioner, elected on the Republican ticket. Thompson's son, J.R.N Thompson, became the first mayor when Arab was incorporated in 1892. Much of the original Town of Arab now stands on land that was formerly the Thompson family farm. Stephen Tuttle Thompson died March 1, 1912, and is buried in the Methodist Church Cemetery.

Erected 2008 by Alabama Historical Association







End of Stephen Tuttle Thompson (1832-1912) - Founder of the Town of Arab