Historic Markers Across Alabama



A Celebration of 150 Years



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: on W Main St, Albertville, AL
County: Marshall
Coordinates: N 34° 16.185    W 086° 12.961
  34.26975    -86.21601666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMMV4M
 



Text:

Albertville, located in Marshall County in northeast Alabama, was named for Thomas A. Albert, one of the first area residents. It lies on Sand Mountain, a plateau approximately 25 miles wide and 75 miles long. Albertville was hunting ground for the Indians until the early 1800s. Migration to this region began in 1844 and continued steadily until the advent of the Civil War. In 1872, another migration into the area began due to word of its rich soil and bountiful forest. Albertville was first settled around 1850. The first post office was established on January 13, 1860. On February 18, 1891, Albertville was officially incorporated as a city. One of the worst tornadoes in Alabama’s history destroyed Albertville in 1908, but the town was rebuilt. An electric system was quickly built and the city water system was inaugurated in 1909. The first hospital was built in 1917.

Erected by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Albertville, 2010



The origins of present-day Albertville can be traced to 308 West Main Street. In 1856, the community became known as Jones Chapel, named for Vincent Jones, an early settler who arrived in the area prior to 1830. In 1856, what is now present-day First United Methodist Church was organized on this site. In 1895, the church relocated to its present site on Madison Avenue and their former church building was purchased by the Primitive Baptist Church. In 1883, what is now First Baptist Church was organized across the street on the western side of the Old City Cemetery. In 1900, that church relocated to its present-day East Main Street location. The first school, where the first sessions of the Seventh District Agricultural School were held, was built adjoining the Methodist Church. In 2008, the City of Albertville designated Little Branch Church as a future museum and cultural center.

Erected by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Albertville, 2010








End of A Celebration of 150 Years