Historic Markers Across Alabama



Grant, Alabama: A Scenic Mountain Town



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: 4766 Main Street, Grant, AL
County: Marshall
Coordinates: N 34° 31.087    W 086° 15.323
  34.51811666    -86.25538333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Side 1:
Grant, Alabama, a scenic mountain town, is located on top of Gunter Mountain at 1310 feet of elevation. It is surrounded by the Foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and overlooks Historic Kennamer Cove. The Post Office was established on May 18, 1887 and the Town was named “Grant” for Gen Ulysses S. Grant by the independent settlers on the mountain. The people who live in Grant Alabama today continue to have that independent and patriotic spirit. Grant overlooks the beautiful Cathedral Caverns State Park which is one of the major attractions in Northeast Alabama and features the largest natural opening of any Cave in this country. The Cherokee Indians lived in this cave before any settlers arrived.


Side 2:
Grant Alabama, a scenic mountain town, is home to the Kate Duncan Smith DAR school. This school was started in 1924 by the Daughters of the American Revolution due to the natural beauty of the area, the great desire and enthusiasm of the people for the school and the great need for educational opportunities in the then isolated area. The people of the mountain made enormous sacrifices to secure the school in honor of their ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War. DAR school as it is affectionately known by the residents includes kindergarten through 12th grade. The students receive a quality education which enables many of them to continue their education beyond high school.








End of Grant, Alabama: A Scenic Mountain Town