Historic Markers Across Alabama



1883 Methodist Church Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: is on Shoal Creek Trail NE 0.1 miles east of North Main Street (Alabama Highway 69), Arab, Alabama
County: Marshall
Coordinates: N 34° 19.154    W 086° 29.712
  34.31923333    -86.4952
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMEAQM
 



Text:

A congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church North erected a log church, possibly named Pleasant Hill Methodist Church, adjacent to this cemetery in 1883. The church served as Arab's first school. The earliest marked grave is 1883, though older unmarked graves are likely present. In 1897 the congregation moved to Union Hill. The cemetery continued to be used into the early 1940s by the Methodist Episcopal Church South founded in 1892, which later became First United Methodist Church. Buried here are town founder Stephen Tuttle Thompson and other early settlers of the area. Civil War veterans including Confederate Private James L. McWhorter and Union Captain James Walter Elliott are also found here.

Erected 2008 by Mr. and Mrs. Sidney L. McDonald - Listed in the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register.








End of 1883 Methodist Church Cemetery